As one of the top-rated funeral homes and mortuaries in Sonoma County, our goal is to provide compassionate and professional funeral services to every client and family that walks through our door.
Given that over 31% of Sonoma County is Hispanic/Latino, it is not uncommon that we have requests for deceased transportation or international “Ship Out” to countries like Mexico.
In the funeral industry, a “ship out” refers to the process of transporting a deceased individual’s remains to a different location for a funeral or burial service. This service is necessary when a person passes away in one location but wishes to be laid to rest in another, whether it’s in a different city, state, or even country.
The “ship out” procedure involves careful coordination and logistics to ensure that the deceased’s remains are transported safely and respectfully. Our funeral home in Santa Rosa handles this responsibility, liaising with transportation services, airlines, and appropriate authorities to arrange for the transportation and necessary documentation for the transfer.
In instances where a deceased family member needs to be transported to Mexico, we offer thorough and reliable shipping services.
The process of shipping a deceased loved one to Mexico involves several steps that we carefully handle on your behalf.
Here is an overview of the process:
- Obtaining the necessary documentation:
- We obtain the death certificate with proper authentication from the County Clerks office.
- We send the paperwork to the California Secretary of State to obtain verification of the county clerk and obtain an apostille.
- We acquire the non-contagious disease letter from the County Health Department.
- We require the deceased passport, or Mexico identification.
- We put the packet together for the consulate of Mexico.
- Once the paperwork is approved by the consulate, we coordinate the fight to Mexico and provide transportation to the airport.
- Preparing the deceased for transportation: We take great care in preparing the deceased for transportation through embalming, dressing, and casketing. We make sure that everything is done with care, respect, and dignity.
- Arranging transportation: We arrange for all aspects of transportation, including coordinating with an airline or shipping company and arranging for transportation to and from the airport.
- Customs clearance: When shipping a deceased loved one to Mexico, there are customs clearance requirements that must be met. We work with the appropriate authorities to ensure that all necessary requirements are fulfilled, including obtaining import permits and clearance from the Mexican Ministry of Health.
- Final delivery: Once the process is complete, we ensure that the deceased is delivered to their final destination in Mexico, either to a funeral home or to a family member.
At Eggen & Lance and Fred Young Funeral Home, we understand that this is a difficult time for you and your family. We will guide you through the entire process with compassion and professionalism, making sure that every step is handled with the utmost care and respect. We understand a ship out can be a challenge to navigate, trust us to handle the shipping of your loved one whether domestic or international, with sensitivity and attention to detail so they get home with care.